US Expat Investing Webinar: Case Studies in Financial Planning for Mixed Nationality Couples
Wed, Jan 22, 2020 7:00 AM CST
Stanton Farmer, CFP®of Thun Financial addresses the special planning and investing issues that affect couples where one spouse is a US person and one is not. Issues covered include:
- Income tax and U.S. tax filing status decisions
- Immigration and tax residency – to be, or not to be, U.S. taxable
- Wealth sharing/property ownership strategies when tax exposures differ
- Estate Planning and Gifting – wealth transfer and special tax considerations facing mixed nationality couples
Check out Thun Financial’s YouTube channel.
Successful investing for Americans abroad has been complicated in recent years by the tax and regulatory implications of FATCA. This live webinar provides a detailed analysis of the challenges facing American investors and puts forth our approach to efficient, compliant, long-term wealth management and financial planning for American expatriates.
- Use of retirement accounts both in the U.S. and abroad (IRAs, 401(k)s, foreign pensions, etc.)
- Investing strategies, asset allocation
- Tax planning across multiple jurisdictions
- Impact of FATCA, U.S. citizenship-based taxation and other regulations
- Cross-border estate planning
- College savings plans in the U.S.
- Charitable giving
- Currency management
Americans abroad are being informed by U.S. banks and brokerage firms with increasing frequency that their accounts have been restricted or even closed due to their status as non-U.S. residents. This webinar suggests strategies to overcome this limitation and tips on successful expat investing and financial planning. Topics Covered Include:
- New brokerage account restrictions for American expats
- Non-U.S. residents and mutual funds
- EU restrictions on U.S. mutual funds and ETF
- Using a U.S. address abroad vs using a local address
- Successful expat investing
Key Estate Planning Concepts and Issues for U.S. Expats & Cross-Border Families
09.24.2019 by Stanton Farmer
R. Stanton Farmer, CFP® of Thun Financial Advisors presents on the complex issues regarding estate planning when Americans and mixed nationality families own assets across borders. This webinar will help Americans abroad understand these complexities from a financial planning perspective by covering:
- International Probate Issues
- U.S. and Foreign Gift, Estate and Inheritance Tax Issues
- Tax Treaties and Foreign Tax Credits
- Gifts/Inheritances from Foreigners
- Mixed Nationality Family Estate Planning
- Estate Planning Strategies, Tools and Their Portability
- Cross-Border Portfolio Optimization
David Kuenzi of Thun Financial Advisors presents on integrated Investment Management and Financial Planning specifically for the needs of U.S. Expats in the UK. The presentation focuses on effective portfolio management and financial planning in the context of the complex tax and compliance environment in which Americans in the UK find themselves.
- Use of retirement accounts in the US and UK (IRAs, 401(k)s, UK pensions, SIPPs, ISAs, etc.)
- Interaction between the US and UK tax codes
- Investing strategies and asset allocation in the cross-border environment
- Currency management
- Avoiding US PFIC/UK reporting/non-reporting fund tax trap
- Impact of UK residency and domicile rules and recent UK policy changes
- US-UK cross-border estate planning
- Impact of US-UK double tax and estate/inheritance tax treaties
- College savings
- Charitable giving
David Kuenzi of Thun Financial Advisors discusses how to integrate currency risk management into a rational investment and financial planning strategy for Americans abroad and families who live across borders and must plan their finances in more than one currency or tax system.
In the context of currency risk and investing, topics covered will include:
- Exchange Rate Volatility
- Investment Portfolios
- Tax Reporting
- Financial Planning
Thun Financial’s Q&A devoted to your questions about U.S. expat investing and financial planning.
06.18.2019 by Thun Financial’s Team
We consistently receive feedback that the Q&A session is among the most useful aspects of our webinars. Therefore, we will host a webinar that is completely devoted to your questions about U.S. expat investing and financial planning. All Thun advisors will be available on the webinar and will field questions in their respective areas of expertise.
IRAs, Roth IRAs and Conversion Decisions for Americans Living Abroad
03.26.2019 by Sylvain Michelin, CFA
Sylvain Michelin, CFA of Thun Financial Advisors will discuss IRAs, Roth IRAs and address when the Roth conversion might make sense for American investors (especially in light of recent changes to the U.S. tax code) and the tax and financial planning considerations of such a conversion. Topics will include but not limited to:
Differences Between the Roth and the Traditional IRAs
Eligibility and contribution decisions for U.S. expats
The Mechanics and Tax Reporting of Roth Conversion
Special Considerations for Americans Abroad.